Trek America - Activities Part 1

by - February 16, 2020





" In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take" 

If you have been reading my previous posts about you Trek America trip back in 2019 you will have read about everything that I got up to on my American Adventure. I wanted to do a separate post going into more detail about what was included in the trip and the optional activities I chose do.

Again I did mention previously that the trip I chose to do was the Grand Trek and this particular trip was split into 2 halves the Southern Sun and then the Northern Trail. This meant that people could book on to do either do the full trek like myself or just one half of it. As the full trip its self (including my extra days there) was for 47 days, I thought I would break my activity post down into dofferent parts as more activities were included in the first half of the trip.

Shall we begin with part 1....

New York City 

Now New York City itself wasn't included as part of the trip. The start/end point ends in Newark which is just outside the city. When starting the trip me and Shaun (another fellow trekker) booked to stay in New York for 2 nights prior to the trek starting. We explored Times Square and Central Park. Experienced the NYC Subway for the first time when we made our way to go see the 9/11 Memorial and Brooklyn Bridge. We both wanted to go see the 9/11 memorial whilst we were here. It was such a strange feeling being in that area as it was just really silent and calm compared to how the rest of New York is. If I had more time I would liked to have visited the museum that was also there too. We also visited the Empire State building and went to the top. We arrived there just before 8am and got our tickets once we are there. We paid $43.55 (2019 price) each for our tickets and then stood in the queue until they were ready to let us go up. They allow so many people in the lift at a time and once you are in and they have pressed the button to take you, on the ceiling of the lift they played a video of the building getting build and had audio telling you the history about it. We arrived on the floor and again they have photos explaining all the history, when it was built etc you could just take your time whilst having a look at these and then you head outside to the deck. There was no cloud in sight! I was so glad it was a clear morning as it meant we got to see for miles, the views were great, this was something I had always wanted to do if I ever got the chance to go to NY. We took photos and I even managed to facetime my parents whilst we were up there, although my signal did go off at one point haha!



Philadelphia 

During our time in Philadelphia the included activity/sights was the most famous Rocky steps and Rocky statue. Our trek leader drove to these stops and let us take photos and re create the run up the steps. Your trek leader will almost certainly recommend you to try a philly cheesesteak sandwich, so defiantly do so! We also had a few hours for some free time to wander around so we checked out Liberty Bell, Elfreths Alley and saw Independence Hall.


Washington DC 

Whilst you are in Washington DC, the main included activity is a bike tour with the company Bike and Roll DC. Now unfortunately I cannot ride a bike, I fell off one when I was little and grazed all my face so never went back on one since. But as I knew this was included and this trip was all about trying new things I wanted to give it a go. The company each gave us all our own bike and helmets and water and sized up the seats to each individual if needed. I got myself all ready with my hat on ready to go until it was time to set off,  but I couldn't do it I felt really unstable and wobbly and just had no confidence, so I decided against it as I didn't want to injure myself this early in the trip. The company was absolutely fine about this and told me how long the others would be on their trip and even gave me some ideas of where I could have a walk to. Now after speaking to the others, the trip included a tour around all the memorials and monuments, I was slightly gutted that I had missed out on this as you come to Washington DC to see this but later on in the day I managed to see the Lincoln Memorial which was the one I most wanted to see. Then we had free time. We visited the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum. This was a free museum, so if you are into aviation and space this is great place to see. As we were leaving Washington DC and onto our next destination, Joel (our trek leader) stopped to take us to see the Steven F Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum. This is also connected to the Smithsonian Museum but just in another location. Again this is another free entry. In both these museums you have to get your bags checked for any prohibited items. I personally preferred this museum to the one Smithsonian one back in Washington DC, They had so many aircrafts as exhibits, from general aviation to planes that were used in different wars and even rockets and a space ship!!


Ocoee, Tennessee 

The optional activity whilst staying in Ocoee was White Water Rafting with Adventures Unlimited  our campground for this stay was actually onsite too, so we only had a short walk and the guides met us. As this was an optional activity, a few people out of our group decided to stay at camp. I can't remember the price of this trek but Trek America states its between $40-$60. We got put into groups by our guide so there was me, Rach, Shaun, Kev, Joel and this lady who had come to do the rafting on her own (although she knew the guide so may be a regular) They went through all the health and safety with us and told us to go get our equipment, life jacket, helmet and our paddle/oar (I'm not too sure of the difference haha) we then had to get on this school bus and it was a 15-30minute drive to the start of the river. It was a nice drive as you got to see parts of the Cherokee National Forest and also the Ocoee River itself. We arrived at the start point and me and Rach were so scared and actually questioning why we are doing this to ourselves haha we just knew we were going to fall out. The driver and the guides unloaded the boats and we got back into our groups again. The guides went through everything with us to make sure we knew what we were doing and when they shout we knew whether to duck down in between the seats, get back up and when to row etc. Then it was time to head down to the river. Our guide said that our group/boat had been chosen to be the rescue boat in case anyone fell out or needed our help a long the way, so we always had to wait until every other boat was in front of ours. I really surprised myself with this activity, this is something way out of my comfort zone and I would never have chosen to do something like this normally, but I wanted to experience as much as I could whilst I was out there and I was so glad I decided to it!! It was such a great experience. We got soaked and at one point I did think I was nearly going to fall out as a rapid hit us and Rach flew onto me haha but none of us fell it, there was a calm part of the river and the guide said we could even get out and have a little swim but I decided to stay In the boat which looking back now I'm so glad I did as our other group who was out their on the rapids said they saw a snake in the water. The rapids started to pick up again a little and the guide asked if anyone wanted to ride sat on the front of the boat with their legs hanging over the edge and just holding onto a rope, so Rach went! I thought phew thank god I didn't have to get up there but then after her turn the guide told me to go up front, it was actually so much fun! We arrived at the end and it was time to head back and get a nice warm shower. For this activity it is recommended that you wear footwear e.g trainers but I wore sandals there were fastened around my ankle and I was fine, no one said anything about it. Also, I wore my swimwear but with a t-shirt and shorts over the top as I think you had to have some sort of clothing on over the top. During your ride down the river they take photos along the way and have a package available for you to buy at the end.



Nashville

Once we had arrived in Nashville which was around 3pm we had a bit of free time to have a wander around broadway. This gave us time to check out the plenty of cowboy boot stores that are on the main strip and to stop off for a drink in a bar with live music. This was one of the things I loved about Nashville, all the bars with singers and country music, it was really lively! One of our paid activities was in the evening when we visited the Wildhorse Saloon for tonight's activity of line dancing. Wildhorse is a restaurant, bar and live music venue that also offers line dancing lessons! The fee was under $10 and you get a stamp on your hand which allows you to get back into the venue as we visited it twice on one evening. Whilst in Nashville you have to go an experience the line dancing! It started at 8:30pm and everyone got up to the dance floor ready to start. A lady came on stage and taught us the steps to a short piece of music. It's so much fun! Afterwards we headed out to the bars one of which was Kid Rocks, it was packed but such a great atmosphere, the drinks were flowing and everyone was singing. I really wish we had more days here!


Memphis 

Now the main thing you have to do when you visit Memphis is of course visit Graceland! (Ok you don't have to but I would definitely recommend it if you have never been before, I'm not really an Elvis fan but it was really interesting to see) Our campsite was also on the grounds opposite to Graceland itself and also Elvis themed with each row name after a song. We purchased the Elvis Experience including Airplanes ticket which cost $69 although sadly looking back me and Rach somehow managed to miss out his Automobile museum and Entertainer Career museum, but we got to see his mansion and the planes so for me that was the main parts I wanted to see. The mansion is an audio guided tour, you receive a tablet and headphone set and you all get on a little bus that takes you over the road to the mansion itself and are told when to start the audio tour. This is really good as you can pause it whenever you like so you can take as long as you like to have a look around and the audio tour tells you which part of the house to visit next. There are other optional activities that you can choose from whilst you are visiting Memphis so always check on your trek on the Trek America website or on the downloadable city guides the provide.


New Orleans

As you spend 2 nights in New Orleans that means you have a lot of free time to see what New Orleans has to offer. During our stay here a few of us decided to go off and explore, our first stop of the morning was of course at Café Du Monde to try their famous beignets which are covered in powdered sugar, they are yummy! We visited Jackson Square, had a walk around Louis Armstrong park and also paid to go to the Museum of Death this cost us $15, it was small so didn't take us long to look around but it was quite interesting to read about the killers and see hand written letters from them etc. In the evenings we headed out, now again being in New Orleans you have to try their famous Hand Grenade and Hurricane drinks. Our stay in New Orleans came to end and it was time to move onto the next place but before we got there we made a stop at Dr Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tour this was another paid activity that we all decided to do. We got given a guide and a boat and was ready to ride into the heart of the Honey Island Swamp. The main reason for this activity is to see alligators that live in this swamp, and we did up close and personal! One even lifted up the metal pole at the side of the boat. This was due to the fact the guides on the boat like to feed them to allow everyone on board to see them and what do they feed them with you ask? Marshmallows and hot dogs! I personally thought you wouldn't really get to see them and it was just chance/luck if you did but we saw quite a few and so close to the boat too!


Upcoming//
Trek America - Activities Part 2




You May Also Like

0 comments